Acıbadem Üniversitesi Sağlık Bilimleri Dergisi 2018 , Vol 9, Issue 4
Original Image: Ingested Cover Screw Driver During a Dental Procedure
Cemil Kavalcı1,Afsin Emre Kayıpmaz1,Nur Altıparmak2
1Başkent Üniversitesi Tıp Fakültesi, Acil Tıp Anabilim Dalı, Ankara, Türkiye
2Başkent Üniversitesi Diş Hekimliği Fakültesi, Ağız, Diş ve Çene Cerrahisi Anabilim Dalı, Ankara, Türkiye
DOI : 10.31067/0.2018.69 A 65 year-old-man was admitted to our emergency department after the ingestion of a cover screw driver during a dental procedure. A plain abdominal x-ray revealed the ingested foreign body. As he had no active symptoms, an emergency colonoscopy was not planned, and he was discharged with the recommendation of visual selfinspection of stools and returning for a control physical examination. Three days later, the patient had still no complaints. A control x-ray showed that the cover screw driver was now at the level of caecum. The patient was discharged with no additional intervention. The ingestion or inhalation of foreign bodies can occur during dental procedures due to patient- or physician-related factors. Emergency physicians should be aware of the management of such cases. Keywords : Dental instruments, foreign bodies, swallowing